Detox your skin!
If all the excess, fun and festivity of the holiday season has left you feeling a little flat, it may be time to give yourself a New Year's boost with a skin detox.
The harsh weather of winter, too much booze and rich food and too little sleep may have left your skin looking tired, dull, uneven and prone to breakouts.
A skin detox can help your skin to get rid of your body's waste products which can help you to look better (and might just make you feel better too!).
So, how can you detox your skin? Here are FIVE easy ways to help you to get started!
1. Water water water! Drinking water is essential to detoxify your body. Drinking plenty of fresh water flushes toxins and waste from the body and helps to transport nutrients to where they are needed. Add some fresh lemon to help speed up the process further; lemon juice contains citric acid, which aids in both the process of digestion and the daily elimination of toxins.
2. Turn up the heat! Sweating can help to open your pores and release the build-up inside them; this can help to reduce breakouts and leave your skin looking fresher and less dull. Exercise is a great way to work up a sweat, but a sauna or soak in the tub can be just as effective if you're not quite ready for action...!
3. Cleanse away; adding a few drops of apple cider vinegar or Epsom salts to your bath is a great way to detox your skin; they work by drawing dirt and other impurities out of your pores, helping your skin to feel revived. We recommend that you cleanse your skin with iS Clinical Cleansing Complex; with extracts of willow bark (a natural source of salicylic acid) and sugar cane (a source of glycolic acid), this daily cleanser gently resurfaces the skin, deep cleaning pores and removing debris without drying or damaging the skin. Grab yours here;
4. EAT (some good stuff)! After the excess of the holidays our skin can really suffer; a poor diet can cause inflammation, which triggers oxidative stress and in turn damages collagen and DNA, making you look older. But all is not lost and a healthy diet packed with the right foods can reverse the trend. Look for foods which are high in Omega-3 fatty acids like chia seeds, walnuts and oily fish; these all help to maintain cell membranes by protecting the skin and providing it with moisture. Vitamin E is another great winner for skin; found in almonds and sunflower seeds, Vitamin E can help protect the skin from damage caused by free radicals in the environment and in the body. Finally, go for Vitamin C rich foods like bell peppers, kiwis, citrus fruits and papaya. Vitamin C works as an antioxidant to protect skin and other cells from damage caused by free radicals in the environment and in the body.
5. Protect your skin; using an SPF has countless benefits, not in the least to protect your skin from harmful UV rays and to prevent premature ageing. Essential skin proteins such as keratin, elastin and collagen are also protected by using an SPF. We recommend iS Extreme Protect SPF 30; this amazing 3-in-1 wonder provides unprecedented broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection, provides an antioxidant-rich protective barrier and has been clinically proven to protect and repair DNA, making it perfect for the minimalist or budget-conscious user.
So, there you have it; five easy ways to improve your skin health and start you on your journey towards better skin. From everyone at MEDFacials, happy New Year and happy new skin!